Sunday, November 7, 2010 | By: Kurt Huber

Tangier, 1437

                 I am one of the primary organizers of the Portuguese expedition to the city of Tangier. The expedition was launched out of a need to capture the city, for our possession of Ceuta is in reality draining our treasury. After our conquest of Ceuta, overland trade moved to Tangier, isolating and depriving the community of Ceuta. However, we believe that in capturing Tangier, these effects may be reversed. My younger brother, the Infante Fernando, has no military experience and so I thought this may be the best chance for him to gain glory. Thus, after some persuasion, I was able to convince him to participate in this conquest.
               Unfortunately, the expedition is a completely disastrous failure, for my younger brother Fernando is taken hostage along with many other brave soldiers of our army. Our attack on the city was poorly planned and executed. Also, this time we did not have the upper hand with a surprise attack. When we arrived, the city was already prepared to defend itself. This was a losing battle for our side and now those Marinid people demand us to surrender Ceuta to them. They are keeping my brother in their possession to make certain we give up Ceuta. Oh what a hateful day! I cannot give up my own dear brother, yet even more I cannot give up Ceuta for the good of Portugal. Even the Archbishop of Braga and the Count of Arraiolos refuse to give in to their demands. I am now forced to leave my brother in the hands of these people, though I would a hundred times rather not. Oh dreadful, ill-fortuned day that has left me devastated!

Sources:
http://catterall.net/cotrim/soares/Henry_Nav-2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando,_the_Saint_Prince
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Henry_the_Navigator


1 comments:

Neville Chamberlain said...

Oh Prince Henry! I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.
It must be hard to live knowing that your brother is in the hands of those terrible people. They must be awful since they are different from us. However, don't let this hinder your future expeditions. We Portuguese are known for having the lead in European expansion! Keep exploring! Best of luck.
Sincerely,
Afonso de Albuquerque
Naval General Officer, Portugal

Post a Comment