Sunday, November 7, 2010 | By: Kurt Huber

My Navigational School, 1419

            In order for my goals to be fulfilled, I needed a means to do such a thing. Thus, now the year 1419, I have started a school for navigators. It is located on the southwestern coast of Portugal known as Sagres. This is the first school for oceanic navigation, and I am excited to see how well the school will run. I designed this school to teach navigational techniques to Portuguese sailors, to aid voyages through the invention and improvement of navigational equipments, and to sponsor expeditions. Not only those, the purpose of this place is also to collect and spread geographical information and discoveries. Books and charts are collected in a library and reports will be obtained from travelers and even from my own sailors coming back from their expeditions. Students at my school will learn about map-making, ship-building, and navigation. I have also searched and gathered some of the leading cartographers, geographers, mathematicians, and astronomers from throughout Europe and brought them here.

            --My School For Navigators--

        At my school I have developed a new type of ship called the caravel. The reason for such a creation? Because the ships in use right now are terrible for navigating! They are much too slow and too heavy. The new ships I have recently sponsored are lighter and more maneuverable; I hope these ships will allow my sea captains to travel further and faster. I am about to dispatch some of these ships to the coast of Africa and I cannot wait for the results they will bring back!


Sources:
http://geography.about.com/od/historyofgeography/a/princehenry.htm
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/page/h/henry.shtml
http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/bios/b2prnhenlu.htm
Pictures:
http://www.traditioninaction.org/History/HistImages/F_002_HenryNavigator.jpg
http://www.heritage.nf.ca/exploration/caravel.html

1 comments:

Arnold Schonberg said...

I LOVE IT! ^_^ I wish I could have went here. This would have helped me so much with all my questions I had about navigating a ship. I had to learn through my first voyage, which was a complete failure -_____-. OH WELL, I guess I got to learn from mistakes. Only if I had the money to go here.This would have been a great opportunity for me to expand my knowledge about ships, the sea, and navigating in general. I really do wish I had the privilege to come to this amazing school.

John Cabot

Post a Comment